Starting a business specializing in portraiture

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
PenguinPhotoCo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,150Gear list
Like?
Re: Starting a business specializing in portraiture
In reply to spytrek007, 11 months ago

you said:

In addition i am going to mention that initially i am not working for any profit, i am mainly focused on building up my portfolio and meeting with so called clients/models on time for print basis.

Businesses make profits. That is their sole purpose for being created - to make money. Not to lose money, not to work for 'trade' or 'barter'.

If you work for yourself then you have a business that employs you. If the business makes no money you can't pay yourself. That's not a job - its a hobby or a charity.

Not many retail/consumer photography businesses do hundreds of customers/sessions a year. If you are that busy raise your prices and reduce your workload and make as much for less work.

As it is I've only met a couple of photogs that truly have as much business as they want, and that's usually wedding photographers. Not sure I've ever met a portrait photographer that had as much business as they could handle.

-- hide signature --

Don't seek advice from someone who is not where you want to be - CJ Lewis
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow