ZD 35/3.5 and EM-1 - Highly recommended (with photo).

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
panometrical
Regular MemberPosts: 118Gear list
Like?
ZD 35/3.5 and EM-1 - Highly recommended (with photo).
3 months ago

I haven't seen much from this combo here or elsewhere, but they work very well together, and not just optically.

I stumbled upon my 35/3.5 a couple of years ago when a friend with a dead E-510 sold me his for $100. Already an owner of the 50/2, I'd always been curious about what the 35 could do after hearing praises here and elsewhere, and from the SLRGear review, so when one came along at close to free I jumped on it.

While an exceptional performer on my E-5, the 35 mostly became a lightweight lens to use on my old E-510 where its nearly forgettable heft made for a really light and capable combo when I didn't want to bring the bulk of the E-5 along. After getting the EM-1 last month and the MMF-3 early this month, it was one of the lenses I was most curious about using. I took the attached photo my first day with the MMF-3, it's here right off the camera, LF jpeg, and it's for pixel-peeping. The subject is a 1954 issue Canadian dollar bill, from a simpler time when mere intricacy of engraving was security enough. I think you'll agree the 35/3.5 more than makes use of the 16mpx, no low pass filter sensor of the EM-1.

More than this, the 35 balances superbly on the EM-1, by my estimation focuses faster than on the E-510 and easily as fast as on the E-5, and as a bonus, to my sensibilities anyway, looks great on the EM-1.

Perhaps if you already have the MZ 60/2.8 macro the point is moot, I'm not sure, but even if you have the ZD 50/2 I would highly recommend picking up the 35. They can be had very cheaply these days, and who knows, as a relatively rare ZD model and one that works so well on the EM-1, maybe not for long.

panometrical's gear list:panometrical's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Nikon D3200 Olympus E-M1 +12 more
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow