Dynamic range and RAW file "bit depth"

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
xpatUSA
Senior MemberPosts: 3,523Gear list
Like?
Re: Dynamic range and RAW file "bit depth"
In reply to completelyrandomstuff, 9 months ago

completelyrandomstuff wrote:

The digitization is not determining the dynamic range, the well filling (number of electrons one can store) and the function between the number of electrons and the number of photons hitting the photo site determines that. So I think he/she was going in the right direction, but the assumption that photon/electron filling is linear is not correct.

Nice of you to say so, but I never actually said the sensor characteristic is linear. And, since my name is Ted, the assumption can made that I am a 'he'

My information is taken from a paper about my camera's sensor, do read on:

"Well capacity is approximately 77,000 electrons per photodiode but the usual operating point (for restricted nonlinearity) corresponds to about 45,000 electrons. Photo response non-uniformity (PRNU) is less than ±1%. Several fixed-pattern and random noise reduction techniques have been incorporated into the F7 design to realize very good noise performance for the CMOS technology. The total fixed pattern noise from all sources is less than ±1%. The primary contributor to dark noise is ktC noise from diode reset. This noise is approximately 70 electrons. It is possible to reduce this to about 40 electrons by implementing a reset-read-expose-read cycle for the frame and then subtract the first frame from the second."

-- hide signature --

"Engage Brain before operating Keyboard!"
Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow