Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bvphotos
Regular MemberPosts: 251
Like?
Helios 58mm/f2
11 months ago

I received the 44M-5 MC version of the Helios lens today. And I have to say I'm disappointed, especially due to the expectations I had of it based on online reviews. Perhaps my copy is bad, or perhaps the later versions of this lens (I believe mine was made in the early 90s) aren't as good as the older ones. But my lens is worse than the Mamiya Sekor 55mm in terms of corner sharpness, and more importantly exhibits horrible CA. I don't know if it's the CA or some other issue, but the edges of off-center objects appear smudged when viewed at 100%. As for its legendary bokeh, it's no better than the Mamiya Sekor's

Having said that, it's a $40 lens. So I guess I can't complain.

-- hide signature --

Canon 6D, Canon 50D, Canon 100 f2, Canon 100-400 IS, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 24-105mm IS, Canon 70-200mm f4 IS, Mamiya Sekor 55mm 1.8, Vivitar 135mm 2.8, Tamron Pro 1.4TC, Speedlite 430EX, Feisol 3402 + Giotto ballhead.

Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow