Panasonic G6

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
aroundomaha
Senior MemberPosts: 2,270Gear list
Like?
I returned it
In reply to brownei, 8 months ago

I bought it and returned it. I loved the features, even the form factor but thought there was an odd noise factor that bugged me.

At odd times I would see what personally seemed like strong image degradation due to noise that I never felt was there with my GH2.

One other odd thing was it seemed like there was rolling shutter distortion. This may sound odd to some but I find myself shooting from a car a fair amount. When shooting with a fairly long focal length (a Nikon 75-150mm lens in my case) there was what I can best describe as a rolling shutter "leaning" geometry to straight lines.

This was 1/640 shutter speed the car I was a passenger in was moving at about 40 mph. It was at 300mm focal length. I found this behavior consistent.

I really did like the camera but found odd quirks that took away from my enjoyment.

brownei wrote:

Whoops; Like a dumby I posted this in Panasonic compact section yesterday. Mods welcome to removed it

I would really appreciate thoughts from those who have (or had) or have used the panasonic G6

Why did you choose it or didn't buy it?

Yep; seriously thinking about it to replace the Canon 5d11. It looks on paper to be a good mate for the FZ200 with a very similar lay out. Thinking atm of no zooms and only one or two prime lenses

And why replace the 5D? Just don't use it.....was bought as a work camera for aerials....no need for large wall photos these days......the lumix 200 does all I want although I do like the one camera/one [prime] lens thing. Was thinking about a Fuji x100 but not sure the 35mm only would suit me where as I can add lenses to the G6 system if get carried away.

-- hide signature --

Cheers IanB
I'm always right most of the ti...umm.....some of the time. ......Yeah, OK occasional right.

-- hide signature --

Aroundomaha
http://aroundomaha.blogspot.com
Home of the wannabe photographer!

aroundomaha's gear list:aroundomaha's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow