after the DA 55-300... which lens is "better" ?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
jf_tea
Contributing MemberPosts: 815
Like?
Re: after the DA 55-300... which lens is "better" ?
In reply to Michael Piziak, 7 months ago

Michael Piziak wrote:

I can't imagine taking any dslr on a canoe ride. Then again I live in white water rafting country - perhaps your canoe streams are nice and calm, but a canoe is still easy to flip!

You are quite right, Michael

Quebec province has thousands of lakes, small or large, and, many quiet rivers. (There was a huge glacier which covered the whole province under hundreds feet of ice before, a few thousands years ago. The relief has been flattened and eroded. The mountains are all quite low). The segment of the river where I went in a canoe with my K7, and then, K5 is very quiet. There was one Summer, in 2012, when the water level was lower (not enough rain in the previous months), and, that made the ride trickier because of submerged obstacles (trunks, branches, rocks). Otherwise, it's generally easy. And, I was trained to ride a canoe when I was a young kid. Nonetheless, I never feel completely confident. One has to remain well balanced even when seeing elusive wildlife. It's actually easier to use a superzoom rather than a DSLR. The superzoom is much lighter, and, shorter. Paddling is less confortable with a K7+DA55-300 hanging from the neck. It becomes a bit difficult when hurrying to get nearer to some water birds.

I have never done white water rafting, nor, kayak. That would be a situation to bring a waterproof camera (or nothing at all).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow