Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
xpatUSA
Senior MemberPosts: 3,793Gear list
Like?
Re: Dynamic range and RAW file "bit depth"
In reply to szhorvat, 11 months ago

szhorvat wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

In other words, if I present my sensor output with it's theoretical 16.23 EV range to an 8-bit ADC is the sensor dynamic range any different than if it is presented to a 14-bit ADC?

Disclaimer: I don't go to DXOMark very often. And I'm not sure that I've answered the question.

I'll say: For practical purposes, yes, the dynamic range will be smaller in that case, provided that the digitization is done in a linear way. The smallest number of electrons we could measure (by looking at the digitized signal) will be 77000/2^8 = 300. It won't be possible to see the difference between 200 or 400 electrons, as all will be rounded to the same 300.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Sorry, I was editing while you were typing. But anyway, it's not now clear to me whether we are talking about just the sensor dynamic range, or some other dynamic range.

I interpreted the term "sensor dynamic range" to mean exactly what it says without the complication of the following ADC. Easier for me to visualize because my Foveon sensor has real analog outputs, 0-550mV (77,000 x 7.14uv/e-).

-- hide signature --

"Engage Brain before operating Keyboard!"
Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow