Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,560Gear list
Like?
Is this Sony's plan?
10 months ago

I hear a lot about Sony abandoning A mount, and the only new A mount camera is a nice but consumer end A58. While im not one of them, many people seem irritated on the focus put on E mount mirrorless instead of AF heavy A mount. Correct me if im wrong, can't the LEA adapters work on all the E mount cameras making use of the A mount lenses?

Perhaps this is the plan for sony. Goodness knows there is enough hatred for the light loss from the SLT mirror, no matter the degree of the loss. Perhaps Sony knows that mirror gives them a bad name. Perhaps they want to give buyers the option. If they only offered E mount mirrorless, they could simply offer the SLT adapters for those who NEED dedicated PDAF, and let the rest go full mirrorless without the light loss. This would appeal to me as i prefer on sensor AF to avoid BF/FF issues, since i don't often shoot action.

The main downside to this is that many people like the ergonomics of the A mount cameras, so they would need to pull a GH3 like body out of the hat too, but that's entirely possible. Battery life would also suffer when using the LEAs but so be it. If i were sony, this would be my plan. I could focus all my efforts on one mount, making both small and larger mirrorless bodies, and either one could serve as a sports camera (with adapter) or 'non' sports mirrorless without it. Perhaps by the time their E mount lens lineup is up to par compared to other brands, on sensor PDAF will also mature leaving behind the LEA adapters. Or basic adapters could still be used with A mount glass.

Opinions?

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow