Starting a business specializing in portraiture

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
spytrek007
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?
Re: Starting a business specializing in portraiture
In reply to PenguinPhotoCo, 11 months ago

PenguinPhotoCo wrote:

Not working for 'profit' means you are a charity. If you feel charitable then by all means donate your services to other charitable organizations that need and want and appreciate what you can offer them.

I am not offering a charity service, i should have said that initially i working on a time for print basis only to build up my portfolio. This is mainly for promotion. One i have a good enough portfolio then i will be charging for my time and building up my brand.

You have to do a LOT of things to run a business. Shooting/editing pictures takes about 20% of the time. Marketing, selling, planning, learning, gear shopping/acquisition/maintenance, computer software learning/updating/backup and many other tasks take up the rest of the time.

This is what i enjoy doing. Even as a hobby, i spend quite some time editing pictures.

As for shooting 'on location' - whose location? Anyplace you rent will likely want to see proof of insurance. Public spaces may be free or may require permits.

It will be public places but can also be a clients house. I do not intend to rent anyplace.

Do some market research before you spend a dime - who is offereing what you plan to offer in your area? (ask around, google, etc). What are they selling (style, products) and at what price. Can you do better images? Being cheaper is pointless, being better is what counts. "Hire me- I"m cheaper!" won't work - someone will be free. 'Hire me because...i light, post, compose better than ANYONE!' is a better pitch.

That is part of my plan. I am using a few business books as reference.

You need to bring something to the market that sets you apart from others.

Next try and determine if there are customers out there and how many. Two families a year isn't enough business to justify the hours you spent reading the book on how to be a photographer.

If your goal isn't money then it is what? Just to shoot pictures? you can do that now without any insurance, pricing, research, etc.

The end goal is money but by giving clients value.

spytrek007's gear list:spytrek007's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow