memory card for s120

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
boogisha
Regular MemberPosts: 218Gear list
Like?
Re: memory card for s120
In reply to gooeynote, 6 months ago

Well, I took SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory Card (95 MB/s), but just because I found a great deal and decided to buy it, just in case (and it was while I was waiting for the camera to arrive :P) If I think about it, I guess it`s not really needed.

I`m not sure if that`s the way it works, but if we do some math, for the burst mode, if regular JPEG is around 4~5 MB and S120 is (theoretically) able to take 12.1/9.4 shots per second, then it means it needs to be able to write 12.1*5 MB = 60.5 MB at first, then keeping a steady rate of 9.4*5 MB = 47 MB/s as long as the shutter button is pressed.

For RAW + JPEG I think that I read it can take around 2 shots per second, making it (~16 MB (RAW) + 5 MB (JPEG)) * 2 = 42 MB/s.

So, if calculations can be done this way, I guess one would optimally need a 45 MB/s SD card, where anything below it might decrease DIGIC 6 performance, and anything above it just might help, but it`s questionable if at all and if so - how much (where the price difference between the cards can be an important factor to consider, too).

Now, I`m not sure about taking videos, and the speed needed there, maybe someone else can expand the math I did Of course, if someone has SD cards of various speeds and is able/willing to do some tests, that might be even better.

boogisha's gear list:boogisha's gear list
Canon PowerShot A75 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow