Would an X100s be OK for this style of photography?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jamesorr
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Would an X100s be OK for this style of photography?
11 months ago

This is one of my favorite images, taken with a 5D, 50mm, at f/1.6.  My friend took it, and it's the type of photography I've really wanted to do.  Lately I've been thinking about selling my Nikon D5100 and 35 1.8 DX, and swapping for a X100s.

1. What attracts me about the X100s is the back to basics, simple approach of the controls, along with the size.    
  2. What disappoints me about the D5100 is how awkward it is (for me, at least) to use in manual, to add exposure compensation, etc.    
  3. What I dream about the X100s being is a small, take anywhere, easy to use camera that would minimize the decision making process and make it easy to do this kind of lifestyle reportage.
  4. What I worry about is it not being able to get a nice shallow depth of field because it's still a crop sensor and the lens is still pretty wide.
  5. But my experience is definitely limited.

Do you guys think the X100s would be a good fit?

Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X100S Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow