Starting a business specializing in portraiture

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
spytrek007
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
Re: Starting a business specializing in portraiture
In reply to Graham Snook, 7 months ago

Graham Snook wrote:

By research I don't mean asking questions on a "pro" forum. Do a business plan...Google "Business Plan" that will be the single most important document to starting up your business. Next get a copy of the AOP's Beyond the Lens...Google "AOP Beyond the Lens" In there you will find more relevant information than you will on here. Read the book from cover to cover, then go back and read it again. Then you'll find the answer to your question, and many more you'll come up with.

If you can't be bothered to buy a book and read it, you'll have little hope in this industry.

I have purchased a few books on photography business and working with models.

Now if you think I'm sounding harsh, it's because I'm a professional. I went to college to learn my trade. I also learnt about best business practice, model releases, public indemnity, public liability etc etc. While I was there. Being a professional photographer isn't about taking photographs, it's about running a business, that happens to sell images.

I understand that this is a new industry i am entering and that is why i have some newbie type questions regd insurance. I will be photographing people outdoors and not in a studio. I assume public liability is only if someone runs their business from an office.

I have spoken to a business consultant but i think need to see them again as first time did not answer all my questions. My main concern is what type of insurance policies I need or what is the minimum insurance I require?

Without any form of insurace, is it ok to arrange outdoor photo shoots? I mean you were talking about public liability, that is when someone trips, falls or injures themselves in an office but can this be said if this is taken outdoors as I won't be using any sort of equipment that they trip over or injure themselves?

spytrek007's gear list:spytrek007's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 600D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow