Do you look at and edit picture after a big event...i.e.wedding...

Started 6 months ago | Polls thread
Bob Topp
Regular MemberPosts: 396Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you look at and edit picture after a big event...i.e.wedding...
In reply to MichaelVadon, 6 months ago

I get paid for the occasional wedding, but I shoot thousands of dance photos a year for fun.  Although batch processing is acceptable for a long sequence of shots under the same lighting, in all cases, you have an obligation to look at every shot if you are planning to post them.  Beyond the inevitable shot with soft focus or blown details, no matter how well you compose, if you are shooting candids, your camera will pick up things you do not expect.  If you batch process and post these blindly, you are certainly going to offend someone.  It may be as simple a thing as catching the bride's best friend with her mouth full of food at the next table during the dinner, but I'm sure if you use your imagination you can come up with a lot of other "fails" that will embarrass people needlessly.  I suspect that publishing some might even get you sued.

If you are being paid, or if you just want to get the most out of what you post, you will probably want to crop quite a lot, make subtle or selected adjustments to exposure, sharpen selectively and mask out noisy shadows.  These all require individual adjustments.  Unless you are having to replace backgrounds or make composites, you can do most of this work in Lightroom.  Last weekend I shot 1800 frames in three hours at a dance; I spent right at eight hours processing these and uploading to the web, resulting in a little over 1000 keepers.  I cropped about half the keepers.

I provide these numbers only to show that you can look at and work on every shot individually in a reasonable amount of time- that actual quantity would be unreasonable for most events, where a wedding might result in 300-600 keepers, for instance.  It's just that the dancers really like to see themselves, and I like to provide them with a large variety of shots.

One caveat- if you've shot in several, more-or-less standard venues, you should have developed some good profiles to apply in LR.  This speeds up a lot of the processing in advance.  If you have to do color correction on every single shot, you're going to be at it a lot longer.

Regards,

Bob Topp

Bob Topp's gear list:Bob Topp's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow