Why I shoot digital Locked

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
panamforeman
Contributing MemberPosts: 866Gear list
Re: Why I shoot digital
In reply to Les Berkley, 10 months ago

Les Berkley wrote:

No problem with this, even if I do like and use film. Only quibble is that it is possible to create a computer database of film images, and that with my Bronica, I could switch backs and thus change ISO without complicated development procedures.

Not sure why so many people are violently passionate about what OTHER people shoot.

Not sure what the answer is to your question, however some folks live in the past and think if it's "older" it's better. That may not be Graham Hill's reason. But Digital destroyed many photo developing businesses. If they couldn't adapt to the digital age they perished.

A friend of mine owned a Camera/Photo business here. He sold cameras, lens, film and developing, and accessories. On any one day he had over 2500 rolls of film in stock.  His store was very profitable, mostly from film developing. His biggest customers were Real Estate Agents and vacationers dropping off 30 & 40 rolls at a time.

Then one day in 1997 a Sony Rep dropped by and demonstrated the digital Sony Mavica camera. It stored the shots on a 1.44mb computer disk. He took a dozen on consignment. The next day all were sold to Real Estate Agents. He ordered 12 more........and within the week put his store up for sale.

Walk into any camera store today? You have to ask for the film because there is so little on display. If some folks want to shoot only film? God bless 'em, have at it! But it's going to get harder and harder to do. Eventually you won't be able to, but not in my lifetime. Because believe it or not there are still two Buggy Whip makers in the USA.  Where? Southern California.  Gee, I wonder why?

panamforeman's gear list:panamforeman's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
XP2New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow