Starting a business specializing in portraiture

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Biggs23
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,584Gear list
Like?
Re: Starting a business specializing in portraiture
In reply to spytrek007, 9 months ago

spytrek007 wrote:

I need some advice here. I am starting a new business and will be specializing in outdoor or on location portraits. My target market is models/actors, couples, families and children.

For models, I understand that one has to have a model release form to be able to use their images on ones portfolio. Do i need model release forms when photographing couples, children, families or any similar form?

Yes. If you'd like to use them to advertise you should have a model release.

Do i need insurance as i would be shooting outdoors or on location?

Definitely. Clients can still hurt themselves and blame you. $1 million should be enough. You'll also need a business license if required by your locality as well as a sales tax ID to charge sales tax. Inland marine insurance might be a good choice depending on how much gear you carry.

And finally for casual shoots, is it safe to photograph models below the age of 18?

As long as there is nothing inappropriate being shot, sure. Make sure the parent or guardian comes along with if you're concerned. They will need to be the ones that sign the release as well.

The business will be under UK law.

Well crap. I don't know anything about UK law so feel free to ignore some or all of my comments.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. Have a good one and God bless!

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow