ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
eaa
eaa
Senior MemberPosts: 1,839Gear list
Like?
E-M1 dies after less than 100 pics
6 months ago

Well, after 11 weeks of constant hassle trying to get my E-M1 promotions, I finally got them today!
Ref:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52699670

But although Olympus assured me all was covered and I was not to pay anything, I was still obliged to pay a custom declaration fee to get the parcel delivered to me at the post office. So now onto the hassle of getting that reimbursed...

But way worse, my brand new EM-1 w/ less than a 100 pics taken, died yesterday.
And it did so while not even taking a picture. From one power-on to the next (just to check some menu settings), this happened:

At power-on, just a loud hard noise was heard, like "PRRRRRRRT", and thereafter nothing...
The shutter then remained closed, so no signs of life in neither the EVF nor the LCD.
The camera dies immediately after power-on, just that hard hammering sound for half a second at first, then all the wheels and buttons goes totally non-responsive. In the LCD there's a weak "dark gray" glow for say 4s or so, then a subdued "clunk" and that light also dies. Besides that absolutely nothing I can do, the camera does not react to anything. I've swapped the batteries (3 freshly charged ones), kept them out for a while, tried with and without the HLD-7, with and without la lens attached, tried different lenses, changed modes to PASM, Scene, Video, pressed the shutter button when powering on etc. etc. No charm. As soon as I power it on, just this shattering "PRRRRRRRT" sound - I can feel the camera shake, then sudden death (w/ the shutter already closed).

But - I have managed to revive it twice (seemingly at random, and just twice)...
First I gave up and left it over night. The next morning it worked again! But as soon as I half pressed the shutter button (w/o taking any pic), same sad story happens. Then again tonight, it suddenly stayed alive after a reboot, and i was even allowed 2 pictures! Then again death, and now it sits dead on my desk here again, and nothing seems to help. Beyond rescue I guess.

So the above constitutes my foray into the realm of Micro Four Thirds, after living happily in the pink native 4/3 world for so long w/ my E-x cameras. Now onto the "Special Service" offered for the E-M1 owners, promising that someone will come in person for picking it up, and a maximum 3 day timespan for the service itself (bar transportation). So I just called their service number now, where just a machine answered they will be open again on Monday...
Well, I'll believe it when I see it. But so far, NOT good!

Btw, anybody else seen this problem?

-- hide signature --
 eaa's gear list:eaa's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +6 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow