Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bathgate
Contributing MemberPosts: 503Gear list
Like?
Philosophical question -- shooting iconic landmarks
3 months ago

This is something I've been thinking about and I'd like to get some thoughts from others here.

We all know places that are heavily photographed. Icons. I live in the SF Bay Area, so the Golden Gate Bridge is a good example. I've never attempted to shoot it. I tend to feel that it is so heavily photographed as to be clichéd. But I wonder if that attitude doesn't hold me back from taking advantage of proximity to an available target so compelling as to have become clichéd in the first place. Does that make any sense?

It does seem that when I travel I am more open to seeking out and shoot iconic places. The Moulton Barn in the Grand Tetons is an example. So maybe I'm just reacting to local tourist draws.

How do others of you feel about shooting subjects that have been photographed millions of times before? Do you take it as a challenge to find a new way to shoot them or to create a new vision?  Or do you avoid the clichés and simply look for other images?

Michael

bathgate's gear list:bathgate's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow