Why I shoot digital Locked

Started Jan 24, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
This thread is locked.
carl english
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,804Gear list
Re: Very difficult to argue any of the points.
In reply to Richard, Jan 24, 2014

Richard wrote:

brianric wrote:

I can go out on an all day event and vary my ISO. I would have to change film to do that.

This was a true pain, you are in the middle of a roll of film

did mention this on previous post, you could change ISO with film.

First time I printed a 20x30 print was from a picture taken by a Canon 20D, an 8 MP camera. I was totally blown away at how sharp and lack of grain in the picture.

Very true, now we have 36mp I am totally blown away.

No longer having to mail out film or negatives to be processed, being at the mercy of the USPS and worrying if my film/negatives got lost.

Never thought about this. One thing when I was doing my own black and white, I would always miss a spec of dust or the film would get a scratch.

Easier to backup and store digital files versus negatives. I have every digital file shot and kept as keepers since 2003. I can't say the same of my negatives/slides taken since mid 1960ies.

And they never degrade, they are the same as the day you took them.

I'm not a great photographer. I shoot events. Digital allows me to shoot many more pictures than I shoot with film, and keep the ones that I want the client to see, especially when shooting sports.

The opposite is also true. I can take one image, view it on the back of the camera, know it is a keeper, walk into the house and print it. No roll of film, no processing, no nothing. Or I could send the image in locally and have it turned into a single print using chemical process for pictures exactly how I wanted it for super low price.One thing I can definitely say I will never shoot film again, and haven't since 2003.

Don't think I will ever shoot film again either.

carl english's gear list:carl english's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D70
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow