Disappointing results trying infrared with my PowerShot A620, any tips?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Aaron801
Regular MemberPosts: 378
Like?
Disappointing results trying infrared with my PowerShot A620, any tips?
3 months ago

OK... I read somewhere one here about folks using this camera (which supposedly has weak IR filtration) to do IR photography. Got excited about it 'coz I have one of these and really loved shooting B&W IR film in collage years ago. I ordered the stuff that I needed to do it: a filter adaptor and a IR720 filter (dark!). I haven't done a lot of shooting, just a few test shots, but the results were discouraging. I put the camera on a tripod and shot several different exposures that included a camellia bush (gotta get the plant matter in there for IR!). The resulting images just looked like a version of what I'd see if I held the filter over my eyes.... lots of red, yellow and orange... basically the color cast that the filter would produce on something non-IR capable. I messed around in Photoshop with those images (with channel mixing and then B&W conversion) and didn't even get close to anything that looks like infrared photography, neither the film kind of what I've seen of digital IR (which to my eyes can look great).

I'll do a bit more experimenting before I give up with it, but what gives? Is the Canon PowerShot just not that great a tool for IR photography or is there some step, trick, etc that I might be missing? I wasted only $30 or so buying the stuff that I needed for this, but nonetheless, it is a bit of a disappointment as I was really looking forward to playing with this IR stuff..

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow