Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim F
Senior MemberPosts: 1,681
Like?
Question for Jim Pearce
9 months ago

Jim: I've followed your posts about the D7100 for some time now. Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that you have developed at least some fondness for the D7100 despite its alleged shortcomings (buffer and FPS.)

As someone who has shooting interests somewhat similar to yours (except I don't chase smaller birds or BIFs), I am interested in the D7100 as a second Nikon body to accompany my D800E and would use it as my "wildlife & reach" body to go along with my 300/2.8 VR1 plus TCs. What I like to shoot doesn't move too fast but might move for some time - i.e., a moose or elk trotting through the woods (from a considerable distance), and eagle sitting in the tree or coming in for the landing, etc. - you get the idea.

I guess what I am really asking you is how "crippled" do you feel your shooting experience is with the D7100 and its FPS and buffer? I am only interested in shooting RAW (whether 14bit or 12 bit might depend upon what kind of color contrast my scene or object might exhibit). How much is the Extreme Pro SD cards a benefit to you.

There's no shortage of debate about the D7100 here, but I get the feeling like there's not much real world experience with it here either. You've certainly offered a lot reply feedback to many about DX in general and the D7100. I'm hoping to hear more about your shooting experiences in general - pro and con - based on your use of the D7100.

Nikon D7100 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Duh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow