Why I shoot digital Locked

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Lightpath48
Senior MemberPosts: 2,243Gear list
+1, Many parallels for me too
In reply to brianric, 9 months ago

My experience corresponds with yours in a number of ways.  I gave away my darkroom and film processing equipment to an art major, in 2003.  The tedium of maintaining chemistry and the rising costs of silver-based papers and films were taking a toll.  When local C-41 B&W chromogenic processing disappeared, I had to switch to mail order services.  Dwayne's in Kansas seemed the best at the time.  But their negative scans were only 3,000 X 2,000 pixels from 35mm.  I found the output of a modest 8 MP digital camera looking quite good in comparison. Then all of the other advantages you've mentioned dawned on me. 2003 was the final year of any film shooting. Through eBay sales and purchases, I made a complete changeover.

Once in a while I miss some aspect of film and wet process developing/printing. But the folks in my local camera club have all made the same switch as have you and I.  Most of them are over sixty, and have few or no regrets over the changes. A look at PSA (Photographic Society of America) galleries is real testimony to how good the transition from film to digital has been for some of the country's best amateur photographers.  I would be proud to have my images among theirs someday.

Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Nikon D3300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
XP2New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow