A7 crop mode VS NEX5N and A55: the shocking truth?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
darkdirtydwarf
Regular MemberPosts: 484Gear list
Like?
A7 crop mode VS NEX5N and A55: the shocking truth?
6 months ago

I'm trying to decide whether to let my NEX5N or my A55 go and substitute them with the A7 in crop mode and eventually upsampling the images should I need a higher MP count (eg. for stock photography clients).

I did a quick comparison by simply putting the images next to each other zoomed in order to have the two images at a similar size for easier comparison. I don't have access to Photoshop right now, so this is just a quick unscientific preliminary test.

In order to get some unbiased comments, I didn't write what's what, put the images next to each other, zoomed approximately (so you can't tell from the size of the objects in the image the MP count) and simply took a couple of screenshoots. I'd be happy to read your comments and thoughts, which camera is which, which image looks better/worse and why.

So, here the image with on one side (I'm not telling which one) the A7 and on the other the NEX5N:

Which image has been taken with the A7 and which with the NEX5N?

And here the image with on one side (I'm not telling which one) the A7 and on the other the A55:

Which image has been taken with the A7 and which with the A55?

I'm really curious to see what happens when I'll do things properly (upsampling the A7 image and/or downsample the APS-C camera's images).

Suggestion on how to do this comparison better are greatly appreciated!

darkdirtydwarf's gear list:darkdirtydwarf's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow