Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Historicity
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?
I can see why
In reply to Mako2011, 11 months ago

Mako2011 wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Or so says Florida Nature Photagrapher in his post (linked below) responding to my retouch of the OP's photo (per her invitation). Immediately following his assertion are my 2 separate responses.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52970768

Why bring the argument here?

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Mako,

I can see why -- or rather, I can imagine a good reason for it if I were in that discussion (which I just read most of).   This discussion was buried and lost in the very long Newgirliz concerns, so it is interesting to break it loose as Brick has done.  I've thought about this quite a bit, should I strive for complete accuracy in a photo, use PP only to make things just the way I saw them (to the best of my recollection and ability)  if my camera can't, or didn't through my ineptness?  Or should I take the accurate photo, if reality turns out a bit drab, and make it more interesting?  I tend to compromise.  If a photo is fine as it is, I leave it alone.  If the photo doesn't look like the reality I tried to shoot, I will try to retrieve the reality with Light Room.  If on the other hand, and despite reality, I have a photo I might otherwise delete, I don't mind playing with it in PP.  That's just my view at the moment.  I have a bit of an artistic background and have, through a Topaz preset made a photo look more like a painting, and liked it, but I really don't know why.

In regard to the argument it sounded to me like Florida Nature Photographer was objecting to the extremes that Photoshop is capable of, putting a whale on her couch for example.  She (he?  I don't recall) wouldn't have objected to making a photo look more like reality -- can't be sure, but that was my impression.

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-500 +43 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WhyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow