Pulled trigger on E-M-1 today...but second thoughts...need hand holding...

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rickreyn
Contributing MemberPosts: 703Gear list
Like?
Pulled trigger on E-M-1 today...but second thoughts...need hand holding...
6 months ago

After two years I finally took the plunge and ordered an OM-D E M-1 with Olympus 12-40 2.8. I am coming from a 7d and Canon's middle-of-the-road non-"L" lenses. I ran the numbers, did the spread sheet, counted grams, looked for the absence of low pass filters and the presence of Wi-Fi. But I surely wanted to maintain the status quo in IQ. While Steve Huff was nuts about the camera, others have been reserved, not so much about IQ (reportedly weaker than the cameras that I will name below) but of the DOF change that I will encounter. With my mid-zooms I could easily blow out the backgrounds, but I'm wondering if I will be able to as well with this system, or it will be harder, or require the purchase of a prime after shelling out $1K for the zoom. Adding up the cost, I am walking away from pretty much even deals for a D7100, D610 and a 70D. Have I gone mad? But here's an important piece: switching to the Nikon cameras or upgrading(?) to the 70d, I'd still be married to the mediocre glass. I am looking for someone to ooh and awwh about the OM-D as I anxiously anticipate delivery tomorrow.

-- hide signature --
 rickreyn's gear list:rickreyn's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +6 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D610 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow