Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Evan Zucker
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
Should I purchase service plan for A77?
8 months ago

I purchased a new A77 with 16-50mm f/2.8 lens today from a Sony Store in San Diego.

My wife had offered to get it for me for Christmas, but I told her I was expecting an imminent announcement about the A77 replacement, and so I was waiting to hear what the specs would be, how much it would cost, and when it would be available.

I have come to realize (as many of you have) that it could be many months before that information becomes available, let alone being able to buy the new camera, and so I decided to take advantage of the current sale and got the camera, lens, vertical grip, and extra battery for $1,419.97 plus tax, which is the same price offered at the online Stone Store.

The question is whether I should purchase any of the Sony service plans.

I normally don't purchase extended warranties, but I'm considering it because I might decide to sell this camera within the next year or so when the replacement becomes available, and I thought having a service plan would make it easier to sell.

I have the option of purchasing either a regular Service Plan or a Service Plan with Accidental Damage any time within the next 30 days at the Sony Store I bought the camera at. Here are the prices:

I searched the forum archives to see what people had to say about the service plans, and I didn't find much information other than Sony giving some people a hard time about the "cosmetic damage" exclusion.

Does anybody have any experience submitting a claim for one of the Alpha SLT camera under a Sony service?

FWIW, I have used Canon and Nikon SLRs for the past 40+ years and have traveled with them all over the world. I have never damaged a camera or lens, and I have never purchased a service plan. OTOH, I have never bought a high-end camera expecting to sell it within a year.

Thanks very much.

Evan Zucker, San Diego, California

Evan Zucker's gear list:Evan Zucker's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A77 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +3 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow