Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
skyglider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,679Gear list
Like?
Alpha 7 verses E-M1 or something else?
3 months ago

I was about to pull the trigger on the Olympus OMD E-M1 when I learned that it can be affected by shutter shock blur.  Doing research, I then discovered the Sony Alpha 7 full frame camera which has an electronic first curtain shutter so does not suffer from shutter shock blur.

Both cameras have an electronic view finder which is a must for my style of shooting.  I like to have the histogram displayed in the VF and adjust exposure compensation for correct exposure.  I also like the WYSIWYG characteristics of electronic VFs over optical VFs.  Just my personal preferences.

For those not familiar with the E-M1 or the Alpha 7:

• E-M1:  Micro 4/3 sensor. Largest electronic VF viewed image of any camera.  I would buy it with the 12-40mm, constant F2.8 aperture, Pro lens. (camera + lens about $2398 but includes a small attachable flash)
  • Alpha 7: Full frame sensor!  I think the viewed image in the EVF is a bit smaller than the image in the E-M1 because the magnification of the VF image in the Alpha 7 is less than in the E-M1.  I would buy it with the kit lens, 28-70mm, F3.5-F5.6 OSS lens.  (camera + lens about $1998.  Does not include small attachable flash.)

... 1. What I'm not sure of is the light capturing ability of a "micro 4/3 sensor with constant F2.8 aperture lens" verses a "full frame sensor with a F3.5-F5.6 aperture lens".  Can you help me out with this?

... 2. How good is the image from the Alpha 7 using it's 4x digital zoom?  It's 28-70mm kit lens has only 2.5x zoom so I would need to use the additional 4x digital zoom for more reach.  I don't like to change lenses so need the additional 4x digital zoom.  (I only want input from Alpha 7 owners who use the 4x digital zoom.  I don't want to dilute this thread with why digital zoom is not good from non Alpha 7 owners.  Thanks.)

... 3. Any other suggestions for an APS-C camera that has a large electronic viewfinder and electronic first curtain shutter that can compare to the Alpha 7 with kit lens?

Thanks,
Sky

Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow