Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Richard Southworth
Regular MemberPosts: 368Gear list
Like?
Stylus 1 custom setting <While Exposing IS>
6 months ago

This was brought up in another thread, and I decided I needed to pay more attention to its effect.

After experimenting with <While Exposing IS> on and off, I decided I couldn't tell much difference in the final image, so I contacted Olympus technical support to ask about the effect of setting <While Exposing IS> to the On position (of course IS setting is On), and this was their answer:

"Yes, in this mode, the IS or image stabilization is applied more accurately while exposing, or when the picture is taken. In order to get this higher level stabilization, there is one drawback, the IS during the preview image for composition is reduced."

Again, I couldn't tell any difference, but perhaps I didn't "stress" the IS enough to show the effect. It's a little uncomfortable to preview the image (I assume they mean including half-press) prior to shutter release, but using the EVF is certainly better than holding at arm's length in terms of keeping the viewed image relatively well framed.

I would hope that others would experiment with this setting, see if they can determine whether or not it does any good.  Their wording is not very precise, I don't know whether or not the IS is reduced to zero during composition or just lessened, my eyes tired before I could conclusively determine.

Richard Southworth

Richard Southworth's gear list:Richard Southworth's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow