Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
guitarjeff
Contributing MemberPosts: 892
Like?
Nature of a Tiff file from Raf?
8 months ago

So I am using the raf file converter to convert my raf files to tiff, then take those in to lightroom 5.  I have nagging questions about the nature of the Tiff files produced.

For instance, if I convert the raf in SP with zero sharpenning, turned off, then when I take tghis tiff in to lightroom, will all the potential for sharpening be included in the tiff file, all the info to sharpen?

Do Tiffs from raf become completely normal tiffs that lightroom uses just as if it was a tiff from my old 5D2?  What I mean is, once the raf is converted to Tiff, are there any more concerns about mottling and such like that were tied to the raf file and lightroom?  Is there any raf attributes left in the tiff that lightroom could still have trouble with, or once it becomes converted to tiff will lightroom work on that tiff the same as it would .  Another way of asking this--does lightroom even know that the tiff would have come from an raf file and do anything differently because of this than it would for a tiff from a Nikon or Canon?  I just want to make sure that once I convert that the tiff has all the info in it to sharpen normally, change white balance, colors and all other aspects with no left over troubles because it happens to have come from a Fuji X trans sensor.

One strange thought, when I open my tiffs in Lightroom, sharpening is at zero.  So if I sharpen in silkypix, and then take it in to lightroom where it will show zero, this means I would not be able to unsharpen even though the tiff should have all the information in the data to unsharpen the photo, correct?  So you could not unsharpen simply because you can't go below zero sharpening in lightroom, which means we are forbidden to use that info still in the tiff file, is this true?

I am still trying to get a handle on the best way to sharpen and what difference file types have to do with it.  Here are a couple recent with the 60mm macro on X-E1

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow