Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Setter Dog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,986
Like?
Question about Canon DSLR bodies w/150-500mm or 150-600mm
11 months ago

Hi Folks,...I'm about to drive myself crazy trying to decide on some long lens options. I have both a Sony a77 and a Canon SL1. I really, really like both cameras and use both regularly. When it comes to long lens options, I get really confused. I'll be using this lens mostly in the National Parks on large animals, and occasionally around the house on birds. At least some of the opportunities will be in the early morning or evenings. I've done some testing in my backyard, on cooperative rabbits, and have concluded that, for my purposes, both cameras are fine at ISO3200 and my personal minimum shutter speed of 1/100th.

Today, I was out early and discovered that the a77 would not allow the shutter button to be depressed in S mode at 1/100th and ISO6400 due to not enough light. I had to back off the shutter speed to 1/25th to get the shot. My SL1 got the shot at ISO6400 but the shot at ISO12800 was actually better and okay for my purposes. Both cameras had Sigma 18-250mm mounted and the shots were at 250mm f6.3.

My conclusion is that the SL1 is probably a better camera in the extreme low light situations. Of course, either the Sigma 150-500, Tamron 200-500, or Tamron 150-600, are all long and heavy lenses. My guess is that I would be happier with these lenses  on a larger Canon body.

Finally, my question. Which Canon DSLR bodies have equal or better low light capability than the SL1? Any user experience would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Jack

Canon EOS 100D (EOS Rebel SL1) Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow