ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SnappyS
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Lens recommendations required for trip to Everest Base Camp
9 months ago

Hi,

I will be taking a trip to the Everest Base Camp in the middle of this year and I would like to add 2 additional lenses to take with me. This what I have so far as photo gear (not all lenses will be taken):

• Nikon D800 (taking)
  • Nikon 85mm 1.4G (taking)
  • Nikon 35-70mm 2.8D zoom
  • Nikon 105mm 1.8 AIS
  • Nikon 50mm 1.4 AIS
  • Nikon 180mm 2.8 ED AIS (purchasing soon, taking)

I would like to add a wide angle lens, prime or zoom centered around 20mm. I would also like to add a 400mm prime, older manual focus lens.

The wide lens will be used to take landscape images of the mountains and the 400mm will be used for astro-photography as that region of the world has some of the clearest/darkest skies, plus I will be at high altitudes.

I would like to purchase used older lenses as my budget for these two lenses would be around $1000. My main concern is image quality such as corner to corner sharpness, contrast, colors, distortion, etc. Since these are for still images, slow lenses will be perfect. I plan on taking a small portable tripod and can add a motorized star tracker for longer exposures for deep sky photos. I would love to take a Catadioptric telescope but can't because of the weight.  Please let me know your thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow