Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
Re: The photos are...
In reply to nathanelsonphoto, 11 months ago

nathanelsonphoto wrote:

Bernie Ess wrote:

.. impressive because Nathan Elson is a working pro who understands, knows that a team of make-up artist, good clothes & location make good photos. The lens and camera have only secondary meaning here: With a lets say EOS 5d Mk II + 100mm F2 lens (to be found for 270 bucks used) the photos would have been at least as good. Maybe better.

The 56/1,2 behaves like a portrait lens for FF at about F2. Nothing less, nothing more. In the APS world, the FUji primes are quite exellent, compared to what other manufacturers offer, compared to the world of FF it is standard.

Neither sharpness (not perfect in about half of the Fuji site sampels, which Nathan Elson are part of) nor bokeh DOF are anything outstanding. Just "normal good".

Just my opinion...

Bernie

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

Totally valid opinion. I think with today's technology we've already reached the point of how 'sharp' a lens can be. Everyone who makes a prime lens dedicated to their own specific brand of camera (nikon, canon, fuji, olympus, pentax, etc) knows how to calibrate it to be sharp.

For me, it was a chance to use a new lens and do a fun shoot, so I jumped on board. The fact that it's "normal good" is all I really expected out of it, and honestly all I wanted out of it, because 'normal good' nowadays translates into 'pretty awesome' considering what we've come to expect from our gear, especially at the professional level.

I didn't expect it to out perform any of my Nikon gear, and it didn't, but it didn't fall short either. It did exactly what I hoped it would do, which was be a small, light, fast, sharp, and fun to use piece of equipment that I could trust to help me create the kinds of images that I create. Is it sharper, faster, creamier than my Nikon 85mm, no, but it's not worse either.

The problem nowadays is that everyone is always comparing everything rather than looking at it for what it is. When the D800 came out everyone compared it to the Phase and Hasselblad systems and wondered why it came up short. Now with mirrorless people are doing the same thing and comparing it to the big boys of the 35mm FF world. They are not the same systems.

There is no system out there that is going to give the perfect look for every style of photography out there, if there was, that is what we would all own. I use the Fuji X system for the majority of my personal work, because it does exactly what I need it to do, and if ever comes a time when it doesn't, I'll buy whatever does. I'm not going to be all up in arms because my Fuji camera didn't live up to some unreasonable standard I set for it.

As for the Fuji samples, no, not all of them are perfectly tack sharp, but that's an issue you face when you shoot f/1.2 at 3/4 to full body and it focuses on the eyebrow instead of the middle of the eye because that's where it finds more contrast. Does it make the photo look a little bit off when zoomed in at 100%+ and pixel peeped? Yep. Would you notice it if you printed the photo for magazine or large ad? No, no you wouldn't. It would look awesome and sharp. I shoot for print, not for pixel peeping, so maybe I wasn't the best fit for Fuji to bring on board

It's been fun watching all of the conversations take place about the lens and the photos me and the other guys created with it, both positive and negative. I will admit I was curious to see how it would all unfold. What I will say is if you own a Fuji X interchangeable body and you want a nice portrait lens, the 56mm f/1.2 is going to fit that bill without question, and that's all you really need to think about. Comparing it against every other possibility out there does nothing but stop you from creating images.

Cheers
-Nate

Great post, Nate. Thanks for bringing a bit of reality to the conversation. I still look forward to receiving my lens.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow