Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Twojugs
Regular MemberPosts: 330
Like?
My K-3 epiphany
3 months ago

I have been struggling with the K-3 since November. Along with several others, I was unable to get the kind of sharpness I had experienced with the K-5IIs. I followed all the forum threads and changed settings as recommended  (although I only shoot RAW DNG’s), still no luck. So, I decided to work through the issue logically, one step at a time.

First question was “Is the camera OK?”

Two weeks ago I took the K-3 and my DA*300mm kens into Pentax (Canada) and asked that they check it out. I am fortunate in that I live only a couple of miles from their current office. (BTW, for anyone in the GTA, they will be moving soon to the Ricoh building close to Toronto Airport.)

Yesterday I picked it up and the repair note said “Cleaned and adjusted. Focus calibration with DA*300mm lens”. There is no micro-calibration in the firmware, so they must have made physical changes.

Although the light was not great, this is the first shot taken this morning. Note that it is -17C. outside.

Eureka, the detail is there. What a difference. I’m not sure if it will translate online, but in the original image, I can see the reflection of my house in the squirrel’s eye, and the fur detail is amazing.

Conclusion: Anyone not happy with their K-3 should have it checked-out. It seems possible that an unusually high number of the first production run may have been “off” hence to number of disappointed users early on.

I will continue to test the camera before leaving on a 5 week birding trip to the Pacific area, but it certainly looks as if my problems have been solved.

Thanks Pentax/Ricoh.

Tony

Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow