Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Eduardo del Solar
Senior MemberPosts: 1,913Gear list
Like?
5DIII vs. 5DII for tango milongas
6 months ago

A while ago I made a post (camera and lenses for tango dancing parties) asking for suggestion on lenses and cameras (5DII vs 7D) to use at tango parties. Only available light is permitted, no flash or tripod are allowed. Since then I have shot 6 Milongas (tango parties) and seems like the 50mm 1.4 is my primary lens followed by the 85mm 1.8. Recently, I purchased the 5DIII and have done one Milonga already. Clearly, the 5DIII will be my primary camera for these dances but I still love the incredible images my 5DII can take.

These were taken with the 5DIII

Link to see the rest of the images with 5DIII, full exif data included

http://www.delsolar.org/webs/tango/january14/

and here are four images with the 5DII

You can see the rest of the images of 5DII here

http://delsolar.org/docs/tango.html

Advantages of the 5DIII

1. higher ration of keepers due to a more efficient AF system under low light condition using Servo function.. The 5DII would simply fail to shoot in many instance as it could not grab the action.

2. ISO 3200 in 5DII is equal to ISO 6400 in 5DIII

Advantages of 5DII

Some people have complained the 5DIII has castrated the AF red point light as you never know if the point of focus is achieved in Servo mode. Personally, I would prefer that option to be part of the process of picture taking. However, the end result is that I do have a higher ratio of keepers even if I have no warning the focus point has been achieved. I hope Canon can decastrate the 5DIII via a software upgrade in the near future, a very useful function when shooting under very low light (in servo mode)

-- hide signature --
 Eduardo del Solar's gear list:Eduardo del Solar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +11 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow