Irrational views on SLT part duex

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Jeadm
Contributing MemberPosts: 752Gear list
Like?
Re: Had To Join This Great Discussion (my samples)
In reply to JimmyMelbourne, 11 months ago

JimmyMelbourne wrote:

Is it just me or does the iso 6400 photo look less noisy?

Im not sure how this can be a solution for anything, when shooting at iso 100 the image turns black so reviewing the image after the shot will be difficult.

It's not just you.

I've quietly hung in with this discussion because it's intriguing and enjoy learning something new.  However I'm not quite there yet when trying to discern if there are real world practical advantages to doing this.  I'm no expert by any means but the ISO6400 image still looks better to me, despite the promise of low ISO benefits.  If that's the case, then the point of all this is...?  Am I reading too much into the examples?

It's almost as if what's being said here is that shutter and aperture are irrelevant because you can just shoot ISO100 and push PP everything (keeping the same exposure settings as the higher ISO that if used gives you the preferred shutter speed & f-stop), and I know that can't be the case.  6-stops seems extreme; is there a more reasonable expectation on how far one can reasonably push this technique?  What are the differences between APS-C and FF sensors in that regard, if any?

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Sony SLT-A57 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow