Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ttbek
Contributing MemberPosts: 929Gear list
Like?
Kids are not Hard to Focus on
6 months ago

I seem to be seeing an awful lot of people claiming that kids/toddlers are hard to get focus on because their movement is erratic.  This is nonsense, drop on over to f/5.6 and turn on your flash, done.  Or develop some skills.  Manual focus works just fine.  If you think kids are hard, try shooting small birds in flight, not the big birds that soar, the small ones that constantly fidget.  Yes, the NX cameras don't have super magical auto focus, so we work around that.  I know that not everyone is in the same place in their photography skills, and I don't expect that everyone will nail manual focus on the kids on the first shot, but I believe you guys can do it with some practice.

The softness is not from poor focus in this shot, it's because it is taken with an old Quantaray at 200mm f/3.5.

I want YOU for the manual focus legion!  Being able to manual focus will save you oodles of trouble in many situations.  Moving subject?  Good skills make it not a problem.  Low light?  No problem.  No light?  Well... how's your nightvision?  ^_^  I have done a little no light manual focus shooting with flash, it's guess and check, but you can make the adjustments and still get the shot.  Finally, here's the bonus part, NX300 has some aids that make this faster and easier, 5x or 8x zoom and focus peaking.  Manual focus has never been easier folks.

Since I've ranted a bit, it might sound like I'm saying getting focus on kids is easy.  It's not, I'm just sick of it being treated as the gold standard for difficult focus.  I mean really, how about a bird that's not parallel with the plane of focus:

This one is with an adapted Canon EF 75-300mm.  Remember with the EF lenses we have no control over the aperture at all, the lens is f/4-f/5.6 and I'm at 300 here, so it's f/5.6, I can't get more DOF using this lens on the NX300.

I know not everyone has the same opinion as I do, but this has been annoying me for a while and I just needed to get it off my chest, so to speak.  Sorry for making my first thread on here a complaint one, don't take it too seriously ^_^.

ttbek's gear list:ttbek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Nikon Coolpix L3 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +6 more
Samsung NX300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow