Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kotmj
Regular MemberPosts: 271
Like?
Very personal thoughts about the 22mm/f2
11 months ago

The 22mm is a fantastic 35mm-e if the lens abberation corrections are turned on in camera. The front element is the size of a pea, or a human iris, which is mildly incongruous given that this is a bright f2 lens. It weighs nothing and is so flat and compact and takes a tiny 43mm lens cap that I'd never think I'd find on a Canon APS-C interchangeable lens.

I was hoping that this combo would be my primary camera, since I am a one-lens guy. I have shot with various models of the Minox 35, and found the 35mm FOV to be very agreeable. I shot for a year with the Konica Hexar AF, a compact camera with the approx. dimensions of a Leica M with a gorgeous fixed 35mm/f2 lens.

But after a month with the M+22, I realise that a 22mm on a crop sensor is not the same as a 35mm on a full frame. The 22mm is a super wide angle lens cropped to the FOV of a 35mm. It has all the perspective distortion of a super wide angle, which is to say the perceived spatial relationship between objects are very exaggerated/wide angly.

Apart from that, I never thought I'd be anything but elated to be shooting with a 35mm-e, but this has not turned out as expected. I have shot for a year with the Sony DT 35/1.8 on a Sony A55, and everytime I was about to raise the camera to my eye, I would think to myself, "Better step back, this is a long lens." Then it would be at my eye, and as i peer through the VF, most of the time, the framing would be perfect. Without actually stepping back. The 56mm-e of the Sony 35/1.8 corresponds well with my sense of when it's right to take a picture. When I look at something, a scene, and think it would make a great pic, chances are good that the 56mm-e is the right FOV for it.

With the 35mm-e of the 22/f2, I always find it so wide, and I have to go in so close. Of course going in close causes very exaggerated perspective distortion -- near objects or part of objects appear large and further away objects appear small. This setup of sensor size and focal length is not as intuitive, not as natural for me as a 35mm/56mm-e.

The 22/f2 is a terrific wide angle lens, just not my One Lens. For that, I need a 35mm focal length.

I guess there is no avoiding buying the canon mount adapter and getting a 35mm focal length lens.

Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow