Some confusion re assigning a source profile...

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
charley5
Contributing MemberPosts: 996
Like?
Re: My Workflow...
In reply to Hugowolf, 9 months ago

Hugowolf wrote:

charley5 wrote:

Sorry, I pressed the wrong button on the previous post. I am using a Sigma SD15. I use Sigma's software (SPP) to convert raw files to jpg, using the sRGB setting (question: should I be saving to aRGB or proRGB instead?).

I can't print from SPP because my images are heavily processed in Photoshop to give them an artistic look.

Since they are heavily processed, are you checking in Photoshop to see what is out of gamut?

I think I am more fixated on the difference between my external printing lab result and that of my own printer. However, I did check and it does seem that the blues show up better on the monitor than on the print. What exactly do you mean by out of gamut? Sorry, I don't know the terminology.

I downloaded the ICC profile for the paper I am using, mainly Canson Platine Fibre Rag. I followed the steps outlined in the Canson site. the only discrepancy was that they suggested using aRGB, and I used sRGB when I saved the jpg file from raw.

There is no aRGB. There is an AppleRGB, an AdobeRGB, and an Adobe Wide Gamut RGB. But none of the three, sRGB, AdobeRGB, or ProPhotoRGB, should give you muted prints.

If you want to use something wider than Adobe or sRGB, such as ProPhotoRGB, then you need to export the files as 16 bit TIFFS. The jpegs are only 8 bits per color channel and such a wide gamut spread over only 8 bits can lead to posterization.

Okay, so it doesn't really explain the muted colors.

In Photoshop (CS3) my settings are:

Center Image; Scale 102.27%; 15x10; PS manages colors; Printer Profile: File I downloaded from Canson; Rendering Intent: Perceptual; Black Point Compensate (ticked): The latter two settings were specified by Canson. The Page Setup Settings were also specified by Canson.

Use Relative Colorimetric with BPC on. Perceptual rendering intents will shift colors even if there are no out of gamut colors. (For Peceptual, BPC is always on in Photoshop, whether you check the box or not, it doesn't matter.)

Interestingly, I did use Relative Colorimetric with BPC off when using another paper, but I still had an issue with muted blues. I thought maybe it was because of the warm tone of the paper. But I am seeing that it wasn't the case.

I didn't fiddle at all with the 3880 settings.

There should be nothing to fiddle with. You are letting Photoshop manage color, yes?

The issue: Blues in my prints are muted and appear almost slightly purplish. Yellows are great. Greens and oranges are also slightly muted.

And you have a calibrated monitor?

Yes, I do.

Brian A

Question: I am fixating o the lab results, but is it possible that the lab has their printer on a high saturation setting? I think I saw a "vivid" setting in the 3880. Is it recommended to use that?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow