Shutter Shock - Size DOES Matter!

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,253Gear list
Like?
Re: Of course shutter shock matters
In reply to Paulmorgan, 10 months ago

Paulmorgan wrote:

The bit I don`t get is that people say, attach it to a solid mass and the SS should be absorbed or reduced.

If you replaced your cars shock absorbers with concrete blocks you will be in for a bumpy ride

That's for external shocks.

The true car analogy would be to have a person inside the car shake the car and see how much it moves, then load 2 tons of bricks into the car and have them shake again and see that the movement of the car body would be reduced.

Adding mass is not going to help if you really are experiencing SS.

The shutter shock comes from inside so adding mass helps dampen the effect on the camera body at least. I feel my E-PL5 is better able to resist shock now that the 12-40/2.8 is on it, but not about to waste time doing before and after tests.

Longer anti-shock delay may help, I guess the clue is in the name of that feature. I leave mine now at 1/8 sec just in case, and that delay does not bother me.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow