Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,580Gear list
Like?
What can -5° F to -10° F do?
8 months ago

Would you believe, freeze a river solid from shore to shore. This post is special for those who have never witnessed this little facet of Mother Nature's power before.

After last week's visit to the Hudson River in the moody fog, today's hike was full of sunshine with not a cloud to be seen. On the less bright side however, it was -5° F and the wind was blowing (this week I did remember to bring my warming packs). Approaching the river last week on the east shore, it was difficult to see in the fog. Approaching today, this time from the west shore, it was readily seen, but came with its own little surprise:

What should have been flowing blue water under the cloudless mid afternoon sun was a frozen white carpet from shore to shore. To quote my caption from the first image of last week's moody afternoon post: "There's a river down there, I promise. We'll find it."

Framing this image and holding the camera steady was difficult in the strong winds (I have no idea what the wind chill was, though probably in the -20's). But absolutely nothing else was moving besides me. The river was solid as stone. What a change in just a week's time.

Last week's images were taken further down river from the opposite shore, back behind the darker hills on the right in the above images. Here, once again, is the view up to those same hills on that very different day:

The River just a week ago had a totally different personality.

With a fresh snowstorm overnight, my original intention in crossing the river was to attempt the third segment of my Lower Hudson Valley Panorama series, the Winter Snow. As a reminder, here are the first two segments from Summer and Fall:

I was within a mile of my goal when the route was blocked and signs posted due to the harsh conditions. One more strike on my quest, but there's still plenty of winter to come. And it then became an opportunity to once again explore the icy river down below.

Thanks for looking, and comments are always welcome.

Ed

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow