Buying new camera (set) and choice between two m4/3 and FF

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Melbourne Park
Senior MemberPosts: 2,405Gear list
Like?
Re: Yup ..
In reply to Sergey_Green, 6 months ago

Sergey_Green wrote:

And I like how it balances on the camera, strong and solid.

Try taking your FF lenses onto a plane with you ...

Do it all the time

I take all my lenses into the cabin with me. And my notebook. And an iPad sometimes. And some drives. And a flash. Its all light and compact.

or walking around on holiday.

Walk up high peaks, ski down the Alps, come down with pictures.

Plus, you sure stand out ...

Eye contact is very important for me when photographing people.

I think eye contact is really important too. And I've found that with an OM-D, I can hold the camera in one hand, and talk to people, and wave at them etc, while looking at the EVF. And then I can touch the EVF with a finger on the particular person's face where I want the focus to be (and your really need to, because the shallow depth of field means you are only going to get one person's eye's in focus) and bingo - the camera focus's perfectly and takes the photo. I get a natural photo, with people relaxed and natural because they've been talking to me and I haven't had to put my eye anywhere near a viewfinder. And it's all light enough to hold with one hand.

When you add a Nikon FF body, things get once again, a lot heavier. And bigger ...

And I can not tell you how good it feels to handle such cameras in gloves.

I've had my gear on yachts. I rang Nikon and Canon service departments, and they said forget taking any of the cameras into my environment, unless they were in full diving cases. With the Olympus sealing systems, I've washed down my gear under a tap. No issues whatsover. I have to wash them down, because of the salt water. And anyhow, on a pitching boat, a Nikon FF would be a weapon, especially with some big glass attached.

As far as gloves go - you are right with the EM-5. But the EM-1 looks glove capable. And if its so cold you need gloves - then at least the EM-1 will work at -10 Celsius. A Nikon FF won't.

the lens itself is almost 5 inches long, and it weighs almost 2 pounds.

Ok, any more points?

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow