Stay with D300 (wait for D400), or go to D800?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dperez
Regular MemberPosts: 226
Like?
Stay with D300 (wait for D400), or go to D800?
7 months ago

I've a bit of dilemma, and the periodic "announcements" of the impending D400 aren't helping...  I've got a D2X and a D300.  They work fine, although the D300 is getting a bit beat up.  I'd LOVE to replace the D2X with a D400, but so far it appears to be vaporware with no REAL indication that it'll become real any time soon.  I've got a workshop coming up in March, so if I'm going to pick up a new body, this may be the time.

SO, my other option would be to get a D800.  I do a LOT of my shooting with long lenses (50-500 OS, 500/F4 w 1.4 OR 2X, 70-200 VRII with 2X) - air shows, birds in flight, other things far away.  The D800 has enough resolution that I could afford to chop off the excess and still have more resolution than my D300 provides.  I hate to give up the 2 fps (I'd use the grip), but it's still a much better choice (in my research) than the other options without paying the ridiculous price for the D4.

I'm sure this discussion has happened regularly in the last couple years, but I'm hoping for some updated feelings on which way makes the most sense.  So, do I stay with the D300 and hope for a 24 megapixel, 8 fps D400 soon, or give up on DX and get the D800?

Nikon D2X Nikon D300 Nikon D4 Nikon D40 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow