Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
aldel
Regular MemberPosts: 239Gear list
Like?
D800 USB3 faulty
6 months ago

I recently had the D800 10 pin socket fall into the body. At the same time I noticed the USB 3 socket no longed transferred data at the USB 3 rate but would at USB 2 when connected to on the PC. The details where explained clearly when sent to Nikon repair at Kingston London.

The camera was return fairly quiclkly cleaned, adjusted and 'repaired' under warranty except for the USB socket. Nikon say no USB fault and the problem was caused by lack of current drivers.This is nonsense as it was working before plus another D800 transferred fine using my Compactflash card and cable to the USB 3 socket on the PC. I don't think think they connected to a USB 3 capable computer to test. The 10 pin socket is much improved and I understand modified so it won't fall in again.

I can remove the card from my body and transfer by USB 3 card reader but I find this a nuisance and worry about bent pins. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I suspect that replacing the body USB3 socket may be very expensive hence the non-repair but I will return it back to Nikon again before the warranty expires.

Looking up how the USB 3 socket works and connects using data wires from both partitions of the socket, I am sure it is the socket that is faulty. USB3 auto defaults to USB2 when connected to a USB 2 receiving socket so I can still transfer by cable but it is so sloooow.

aldel's gear list:aldel's gear list
Nikon D800
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow