D7100 manual focus rangefinder: Are there any lenses were it doesn't work?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
1llusive
Regular MemberPosts: 150Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 manual focus rangefinder: Are there any lenses were it doesn't work?
In reply to AZ Steve, 7 months ago

AZ Steve wrote:

The "electronic rangefinder" does not require any electronic communication with the lens. It will work with any lens with an aperture of f/8 or brighter, in so far as it works at all. If you experiment carefully you will probably find that the dot displays with a range of focus-ring positions, and pictures taken with some of those positions are not really in critical focus.

People try to work around this by noting just where in the range the focus seems the best -- middle of the dot-zone, left or right edge with one of the arrows barely flickering, etc. If you get into this kind of experimentation, do it with apertures that you are going to use in practice. And do not expect perfection!

I have noticed this with the Samyang. In my experience with this lens, perfect focus is achieved just when the dot lights up. That is, the beginning of it, not the middle or the end of it before you have gone too far. Other lenses may be different, I'm not sure.

1llusive's gear list:1llusive's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Samyang 16mm f/2.0 ED AS UMC CS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow