I've caught the MF bug

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
JackM
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,830Gear list
Like?
But why?
In reply to bvphotos, 11 months ago

You don't really say.  You seem to be looking for lenses to cover mutually exclusive purposes.  Using manual focus lenses on a FF SLR is best for landscape or static subjects.  If you want legacy mf lenses for your XE-1, it would be best to go for rangefinder type lenses which will be smaller and lighter and will mount elegantly with a slim adapter.  This will be better for street photography and anywhere that discretion and portability is important.  Mounting SLR lenses on your XE-1 will require a big clunky adapter that also makes up for the much longer flange distance.

So I guess I would advise you to pick one set of uses and concentrate on buying great lenses for that first.  Fuji makes bold claims about its sensors surpassing FF.  They're great, but it simply isn't true, I have both.  So if you crave maximum IQ at 100% view, forget about the XE-1 when buying MF lenses.  On the other hand, if you crave discretion and portability, then concentrate on rangefinder lenses for the XE-1 and forget about the 6D.

Enjoy that aspect of photography for a while and save up for the other.  Or if money is no object, then heck, do whatever you want.

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow