What is the practical significance of the DxOMark colour depth score?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
szhorvat
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
What is the practical significance of the DxOMark colour depth score?
7 months ago

What is the practical significance of the DxOMark colour depth score? I do understand the other two scores, but I am not sure how a better or worse colour depth score would show up in an actual image.

I am looking for actual example photos which would show what a camera with a particularly low colour depth score would produce in a difficult situation, to understand what kind of problems a better colour depth score would help avoid.

For example, I know what a photo taken in inadequate light with a "Low-light ISO" score looks like: it's very noisy/grainy. I know what is the consequence of low dynamic range: for example a cyan-white sky with no smooth gradients, while losing a lot of detail in shadowy areas, like here. A camera with a better dynamic range might have captured both the sky and the foreground in good quality, like here. (Extreme examples help make this clear.)

Can someone post example pictures (in the spirit of the dynamic range examples I linked to above) to show the significance of the colour depth score?

A technical explanation of how DxO measures this precisely would also be interesting (feel free to use advanced math), but I'm primarily interested in examples images that show the significance of this score.

(Note: I know that the colour depth d of a video mode on a computer just means that there are 2^representable colours.  If there are few representable colours then banding will be visible in gradients.  The DxO score probably alludes to this, but I've never seen similar banding come from a a camera, even when heavily processing a RAW image.  I don't expect to see such banding/posterization when working with RAW files because the natural noise present in the image will do the dithering for me and eliminate any banding anyway.)

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow