What a bias A7/r review using third party lens!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,119Gear list
Like?
Re: What a bias A7/r review using third party lens!
In reply to SQLGuy, 6 months ago

SQLGuy wrote:

That Hexanon of his is really soft. I wonder if it's hazed or something. Being that soft, I'm not surprised focus peaking was useless for him.

It might be marginally softer than my FL55/1.2 which I absolutely adore ... what Barney clearly doesn't have a clue about though is that these lenses were rarely made to be shot at max aperture ... wide open apertures were used as focusing aids in darkness but were expected to be stopped down prior to snapping. Secondly, old fast lenses are also pretty much always sharper than slower lenses at equivalent apertures, which is where the benefits come in. He could have shot a Konica AR 40/1.8 and found it soft at f1.8 too. You'll notice the next stop on that lens is miles away at f2.8 - the actual aperture most people were expected to actually use. Third, the fact of being able to shoot FF uncropped means that you can still retain your thin DoF even shooting at the optimum apertures these lenses were made for.  The FL 55/1.2 really starts to shine around f2.8 with super sharpness all over the frame.  But I wanted thin DoF and f2.8 is too thick on APS-C!  Well that's exactly the liberating feature of the FF camera.  But again, no mention of this because they have no frame of reference.

The philosophy in old lens craft is very different from modern lenses where we are all jumping up and down if a lens isn't really usable wide open. It is even more stark the older the lenses - which is why he's rightly been hammered for not using the newer legacy lenses - Contax G/Y or Canon FDn or Minolta MC or similar - which have much better wide open performance than their older counterparts. The fact he missed all this shows his ignorance about how legacy lenses work - yet say nothing about the A7. It's just one of many little niggles that in sum reflect how badly the review comes across.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
HmmmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow