What a bias A7/r review using third party lens!

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
cxsparc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,445
Like?
Re: What a bias A7/r review using third party lens!
In reply to NumberOne, 10 months ago

Same here. Ergonomics on the A7 could be definitely improved (like allowing playback in the central button of control wheel instead of awkwardly reaching for C2) by firmware changes, but his usecase of putting only garbage lenses is, if not plainly malevolent, just strange.

As I pointed out in a comment to his post, MOST buyers of A7 with the intent to reuse legacy glass have a cupboard of BRAND legacy lenses from their film slr, e.g. Canon (FD), Nikon, Minolta, Pentax and not obscure garbage lenses. Otherwise they wouldn't bother with mirrorless and especially A7 since native lenses are very limited at present for FE.

My experience with cheaply acquired FD lenses is, that the cheapest one FD35/2.8 (20 Euros) is already great on Nex 5N but smashing in terms of sharpness wide-open on the A7 (close to FE35/2.8). See also ERP reviews which confirmed my experience in hind-sight. Another great FD lens I got for free is the FD135/2.8 with astounding sharpness wide-open. FD50/1.4 can be had for 50 Euros in wide supply. ......

Those lenses are competitive with modern lenses, of course lacking AF and OSS. E.g. FD50 is sharper at f2.0 than SEL50F18.

http://erphotoreview.com/wordpress/?cat=63

As conclusion, I struggle to understand what is going on here at dpreview. The A7 preview was similarily moaning about details a lot, with short notes later on in the text that they had discovered how to (simply!) solve the problem. The A7 is ugly as a brick compared to the Nex series and it has its shortcomings, but this treatment is strange - non (!) honi soit qui mal y pense.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
HmmmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow