Sony SLT-A77 Questions (how to get good high-iso images easily)

Started Jul 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,339Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony SLT-A77 Questions (how to get good high-iso images easily)
In reply to cformont, 8 months ago

cformont wrote:

Here's a YouTube video of A77 - High ISO tests. Holds up pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6tji96mJsc

-Chris

I didn't find the video all that informative, plus you resurrected a thread that's very long and over a year old. The high ISO performance of the a77 has been discussed to death on this forum and we will end up repeating all the pro and con arguments all over again in this thread if we're not careful. I'm a fan of the a77 and I enjoy using mine very much, but I have to say my ISO 6400 shots don't look as good as the ones in the video you linked to - possibly because the ones in the video, at high ISO, don;t feature a lot of fine detail that could be lost by NR and the limitations of the sensor at high ISO. Having said that, the video prompted me to look at my ISO 6400 a77 shots again- they really are pretty noisy, but LR does a good job of crushing the chroma noise, and what's left is a lot of luma noise, but it has a rather film-grain quality to it, which is not unpleasant, and what you see at 100% pixel peeping view is not what you see on a massive HD TV/monitor or when you print, so we really shouldn't obsess about what these raws look like at 100%.

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow