Color balance/white balance: what's the relationship of the two?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Aaron801
Contributing MemberPosts: 772Gear list
Like?
Color balance/white balance: what's the relationship of the two?
10 months ago

OK... I understand what white balance does (or at least I think that I do). It's an adjustment for compensating for the effects of different kinds of light... different color temperatures. I've messed with that adjustment a bit in using my old point and shoot camera. Now I've got a new camera that not only has a white balance adjustment but allows me to shoot in RAW, which then allows me to adjust white balance on the other end. I'm just starting to get into that after taking some sample shots... I've been trying to learn some things about how to process RAW files and how the software I've downloaded, LightZone works. At this point, I don't really see just what the white Balance controls do that's different than the color balance controls (similar to ones that I've used in Photoshop with my old camera's JPEGs). What's the relationship between these two controls? What's the best way to approach it?
Also, I wonder if anyone has a good recommendation for online resources dealing with RAW conversion and/or the LightZone program..? I'd like to learn more about how to go about sharpening, noise controls as well as this color stuff... not to mention levels/contrast controls and all of that. I know a fair amount about some of this stuff as it applies to Photoshop, but I have to admit that I've never really gotten to a point where I have anything like a real methodology for dealing with this stuff.

Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow