Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
xpatUSA
Senior MemberPosts: 3,280Gear list
Like?
My First IR with the SD10
8 months ago

I made a decision to go back to shooting with the SD9. This left the SD10 rather lonely, so I bought some IR pass filters, took out the "dust-cover", added the 17-70mm f/2.8 and put a Marumi 700nm filter on it, at which point the sun was on its way below the horizon. So, out with a GE 250W heat lamp and some leaves from the woods, all other lights out. Surprise, the much-maligned Sigma AF worked quite well! Snapped a few shots with wildly varying exposures until the LCD histogram looked OK to my unskilled eye. Here's the pick of the bunch, converted by FastStone Viewer (uses dcraw) and saved as a JPEG:

Quite a lot of blue in the conversion - bit of a surprise, that. (Please ignore EXIF date - it lies).

A bit lurid for my taste although it could been made to look like a proper IR shot with a good bit of post-processing, I imagine. So, instead, I fired up RawDigger and saved a RAW composite TIFF which I then passed to RawTherapee and messed around with the color mixer a bit.

Could be quite fun and the sun's out again tomorrow here in Texas . .

Think I'll stick with the 700nm for now and perhaps graduate to longer wavelengths in a while.

Not trying to impress with the images, they're just my first shots in IR. And with an Adobe-free workflow

-- hide signature --

"Engage Brain before operating Keyboard!"
Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 +2 more
Sigma SD10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow